At Danetre Medical Practice we recognise that caring for a friend or relative can be a rewarding experience, but it can also leave you tired and stressed. Caring may also affect your health.
The surgery can add you to a carers register.This can help us better understand the condition of the person you care for, and to look out for the warning signs of illnesses that are common among carers, such as back pain resulting from heavy lifting.We aim to be flexible to fit appointments around your caring duties or provide joint appointments for the patient and carer.
At the surgery we are able to provide information and advice on lifting and handling, including equipment available from the NHS and respite and day care available locally to give carers a break. Advice and information can be provided to help with your wellbeing, such as counselling services and emotional support. This can be provided by the wellbeing service, peer support, help lines and carer’s support groups.
Danetre Medical Practice are able to provide an annual medical review for carers including blood pressure and an annual flu vaccine.
We can refer you for a carers assessment to signpost you to the appropriate services that can assist and support carers. Assessments can be provided by a care manager or mental health worker. Online self-assessment is also available. The Care Manager can arrange direct payments or a personalised budget that could be used to fund respite for you, the carer. Advice and information can be given for carer’s allowance, attendance allowance and disability living allowance.
Northamptonshire Carers Service aim to offer a comprehensive support service to the unpaid Carers of Northamptonshire and can be contacted by telephoning the carers support line on 01933 677907
- Find out more in the Northamptonshire Care Services Directory 2014-15 – The comprehensive guide to choosing & paying for care
Useful Numbers & Other Services:
- Northamptonshire Carers
- Adult Care Team (Adult Social Care): 0300 1261000
- Age Concern: 01604 611200
- Benefits enquiry line: 0800 882200
- Carer’s allowance unit: 0845 6084321
- Carer’s assessment team: 01933 677907 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Carers Direct: 0808 8020202
- Carers Trust: 0845 4500350
- Carers UK (provides information and support for carers): 0808 8087777
- Crossroads Care covering Coventry and Warwickshire: 02476 2558816
- CRUISE (bereavement service): 07772 428532
- Disability helpline: 08457 123456
- Library home delivery service: 01327 703130
- My Care My Home (home care assessment): 0800 7318470
- Northamptonshire County Council – Support for You: 01933 677837
- RADAR (disabled toilet access), available from Daventry Council
- Sally Saker, Alzheimers Support: 0794 751953
- Warwickshire Social Services: 01926 410410